WEEK 16 | STRUGGLES PERSIST FOR THE RIDERS
Greetings Rider Nation! Week 16 brought another challenging match for our Saskatchewan Roughriders, this time against the Ottawa Redblacks. Let’s dissect the game and evaluate how the team performed.
TURNOVERS PROVE COSTLY
The Riders faced a tough test against the Ottawa Redblacks in Week 16. Unfortunately, turnovers became a significant issue, resulting in a 36-28 loss. The Riders gave up a staggering 25 points off five turnovers, a key factor in the defeat.
Jake Dolegala, making his fifth start of the season, displayed moments of brilliance but also grappled with interceptions and fumbles. This, combined with 11 penalties for 123 yards, painted a challenging picture for the Riders.
The defensive line struggled to contain Ottawa’s ground game, allowing over 700 rushing yards in the last three games. Addressing this issue is paramount to fortifying the team’s defense moving forward.
STRENGTHS AND AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
Let’s analyze the updated statistics reflecting the strengths and areas for improvement for our beloved Riders in Week 16.
Top 3 Strengths:
- Special Teams (31%): The Riders’ special teams continue to be a consistent force, showcased by a game-changing 107-yard punt return against Ottawa.
- Something Else (20%): The “Something Else” category reflects uncertainty among fans regarding a definitive top strength, suggesting the team is not meeting its potential.
- Talent (15%): Despite recent challenges, the Riders possess individual skills that, when synchronized, have shown potential for substantial offensive output.
Top 3 Areas of Improvement:
- Penalties (43%): Costly penalties proved detrimental, necessitating a sharper focus on discipline and communication to avoid crucial infractions.
- Stopping the Run (41%): The defense struggled to contain opponents’ ground game, conceding over 700 rushing yards in the last three games, requiring a renewed emphasis on run-stopping techniques.
- Offensive Line (33%): Improved protection for the quarterback is pivotal, highlighting the offensive line’s role in facilitating effective passing plays and overall offensive success.
GREY CUP CONFIDENCE INDEX: -153
The Riders’ Grey Cup Confidence Index remains largely unchanged after the Week 16 loss. It’s evident that significant adjustments are needed to regain confidence and momentum.
FAN SENTIMENT WORD CLOUD
Following this challenging loss, the fan sentiment has evolved. Terms like “Awful,” “Disappointing,” and “Penalties” now dominate the word cloud, reflecting the emotions of Rider Nation in response to this latest club setback.
As the Riders now stand at 6-8, finding solutions to the ongoing challenges is imperative. The team’s focus shifts towards the upcoming clash with the BC Lions, who present a formidable opponent. The Riders must rally and elevate their performance with a playoff spot within reach.
Remember, your insights and opinions are instrumental in shaping the narrative of Rider Nation. Join the conversation by signing up at SaskWatch.ca and have your say on the team’s progress.
WANT TO WEIGH INTO THE CONVERSATION?
Insightrix Research Inc., a Saskatchewan-based research company, powers the SaskWatch Research® online community.
The Saskatchewan-only community allows our Prairie residents to have their say on various issues that face the province and their local communities. By joining SaskWatch, you can participate in market research studies that interest you, including sports and entertainment brands like the Saskatchewan Roughriders.